An aerothermal engineer is needed to join the Reaction Engines Ltd team.
We are looking for a high calibre individual with a strong understanding of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer along with experience in delivering analysis and subsequent design solutions. The candidate will be responsible for the design and analysis of thermo-fluid systems and subsystems developed by the company for a variety of applications. The role also involves the building up of aerothermal simulations using a blend of commercial and in-house modelling tools, as well as supporting experimental validation tests. The successful applicant will be working in a fast-paced environment, positioned on the cutting edge of technology development for the aerospace industry and beyond.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
- Experience in the simulation of thermo-fluid systems and subsystems using a variety of 0D-3D modelling tools
- Experience in the use of CFD pre-processing, solver, and post-processing tools in an engineering setting
- Experience in the analysis and reduction of data from a variety of sources to synthesize
- MEng (or equivalent) in Aeronautical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering (or a closely related subject)
- Familiarity with commercial or open-source meshing tools, preferably Pointwise
- Familiarity with commercial or open-source CFD codes, preferably CFD++
- Familiarity with commercial or open-source post-processing tools,
- MS Office and technical report writing
- Possesses a strong, independent analysis and problem solving capability
- Is willing to challenge conventional thinking on, and propose alternative solutions for, known development tasks and issues
- Knowledge of one or more programming or scripting languages, particularly Python, MATLAB, Fortran, or C/C++#
- Ability to interact effectively with multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Experience in developing custom aerothermal models and tools, and/or CFD user-defined function
- Experienced in running simulations on a High Performance Computing cluster
- Direct experience in the design and/or analysis of at least one of the following aerothermal specialist areas:
- Heat exchangers
- Reacting flows (including combustion)
- Real-gas flows
- Two-phase flows
- Integrated thermo-fluid systems, particularly aerospace propulsion systems
- Experience in applied experimental techniques and instrumentation would be highly regarded.
- Experience working in a business development/conceptual design environment is also desirable.
- A PhD qualification in an aerothermal specialist area and/or CFD would be beneficial.
- Exposure to a manufacturing, prototyping or development environment
- Experience of research and development in an applied fluid dynamics field
- Familiarity with CAD software, preferably Solidworks
- Knowledge of thermal simulation tools and techniques.
- Able to interact with external partners and customers where necessary
- Knowledge of supercritical fluid behaviour, particularly of CO2, Helium, and Hydrogen
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines' core values:
Closing Date - Tuesday 19th November 2019
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to email@example.com qutoting reference "243/2019" Aerothermal Engineer.
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.
Back to Vacancies