Reaction Engines are looking for a fixed term (one year) graduate engineer with a background in structural analysis to help deliver solutions for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system - SABRE. The candidate will be responsible for carrying out FE and hand calculation stress analysis, assessing solutions and presenting work to peers, senior engineers, managers and external partners.
SABRE – This complex air breathing rocket engine is currently in its early development phase with the next stage of the programme focussed on delivering a demonstrator of the engine. The ideal candidate will provide support to the demonstrator and support technology development activities.
The work that the FE and Structures team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst also being confident when working independently. The team works closely with peers, seniors, partners, and customers so good communication skills are vital. The team is the main expertise for structural analysis within the company.
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 30 days annual leave plus public holidays, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and 50% off onsite childcare (for children under 3 years of age).
Pinciple Accountabilities & Responsiblities
Reporting to the FE and Structures Team Leader your role will include;
- Building, checking and maintaining FE models
- Carrying out static, normal modes, frequency response, rotordynamics, fatigue and thermal analysis using commercial FE solvers.
- Carrying out post processing and reporting reserve factors for both SABRE and demonstrator metallic and composite components
- Correlating and validating FE models against test data
- Using hand-calculations to size and assess structures and pressurised equipment
- Preparing, presenting and reporting technical work to peers, seniors and partners.
- The candidate must be qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering.
- Experience in the use of commercial FE software such as Ansys Workbench or Altair Hyperworks
- Proficient in the use of Windows and MS office
- Must be able to carry out basic stress analysis hand-calculations for sizing structures and pressurised equipment.
Skills & Behaviours
- Able to work equally well unsupervised or as part of a team
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Must be able to communicate at all levels of the business and with suppliers and customers
- Pragmatic approach to interpreting structural analysis
- Must be adaptable to new projects and design directions
- Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines' core values:
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference “008/2020 Graduate FE and Structures Engineer”
The closing date for this vacancy is 19 February 2020.
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.
Back to Vacancies