Reaction Engines is seeking an enthusiastic, high calibre senior engineer to help the business accomplish its goals through the effective and efficient use of available resources, to build the future capability needed to support the business plan.
The Head of Systems Architecture, Performance and Aerothermal Analysis will ensure their engineering team can deliver the right solutions that support what our customers and colleagues need.
There are 3 Functions within Engineering at RE and these Engineering Function Heads will work together to provide our projects with a complete resource and capability solution for their product. All of these engineering teams will be involved across a product lifecycle, and will apply learning into future activities. Each function should be actively in discussion with every part of the business to look ahead at the project needs and plan accordingly.
The responsibilities of the Systems Architects, Performance and Aerothermal Analysis Function are:
- Starting from concept evaluation at a system level through to the evaluation of test articles, this team is responsible for the performance of the system/product to meet the customer’s requirements
- The team can carry out detailed performance and aerothermal assessments
- The team will be involved in functional-based technology development
- The team will be comprised of a mix of specialists and excellent, broad aero engineers
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Leading a team of SMEs, Senior and Junior Engineers and trainee placements and providing these individuals with the support they need to thrive as part of the team
- Accountable for the performance and effectiveness of the function
- Responsible for delivering the engineering capability strategy within your function – in line with project / business needs, including, but not limited to, People, Processes, Tools, External research, suppliers & funding, Technology Development
- Build excellent relations with all projects & teams across the business to understand their requirements and provide an engineering capability to match
- Provide the necessary specialist Technical Reviews and Lessons Learnt processes to ensure the engineering solution is fit for purpose
- Using your understanding of the company’s USPs, costs, technology and people to make recommendations on the best approach for a product (e.g. using existing solutions, how much analysis is required, or the best resource approach (Do/Buy))
- Establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with all work colleagues, contractors and partnering agencies to ensure an integrated contribution to Reaction Engines’ corporate objectives
- Responsible for observing, complying and applying all company policies and procedures and for Health and Safety at Work
- Observe and continually promote equal opportunities and customer care in compliance with organisational aims and objectives
- Participate in learning and development activities that develop personal effectiveness and assist in improving performance in the role
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in line with the level of responsibility of the post and in order to meet the changing needs of the organisation
- Professional Engineering experience (experience from different industries will be considered)
- Technical background in performance, aerodynamics, aerothermal or related disciplines
- Line management or technical leadership of people.
- Track record of successful product or project delivery
- Able to operate within tight deadlines on multiple tasks and projects
- Technical background in Heat Transfer methods or heat exchanger design/analysis
- Experience of tools for Aero-based analysis (e.g. python, matlab, CFD or other related tools)
- Qualified to degree level (in a STEM subject)
- Chartered engineer or interested in pursuing chartered status
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
Skills and Behaviours
- People management
- Stakeholder management
- Strong organisational and planning skills including task management and prioritisation
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and with external suppliers and customers
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines' core values:
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 28 days annual leave (increasing to 30 days after 2 years’ service) plus public holidays, employee share scheme, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and a contribution towards onsite nursery childcare for children under 3 years of age. We also offer dynamic working where employees split their time working from home and from our office in Culham.
Reaction Engines Ltd. operates a flexible working policy, part-time hours may also be negotiable.
Some travel to customers, suppliers, and build & test sites may be required.
Salary: £60,000 to £65,000 (DOE)
Working Hours: Full Time - 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 052-2021 – Head of Systems Architecture, Performance and Aerothermal Analysis
< Back to Vacancies