Reaction Engines are looking for a high calibre individual with experience in mechanical design of process fluid / chemical plant equipment.
The candidate will be responsible for leading design work packages, assessing solutions and generating independent designs for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system – SABRE.
The work that the Mechanical Design team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst also being confident when working independently. The team works closely with peers, seniors, partners, and customers so good communication skills are vital.
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 30 days annual leave plus public holidays, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and 50% off onsite childcare (for children under 3 years of age).
Principle Accountabilities & Responsibilities
This role will be working with a multi-disciplined engineering team where you be responsible for providing robust solutions that can be taken from conceptual design through to full working mechanical assemblies, meeting the project requirements.
To achieve this you will be responsible for mechanical design of a series of components and assemblies:
- You will be required to work collaboratively as part of a team, leading design activities and support timely delivery of the projects
- You must create technical documentation and be able to clearly verify the design, by using a combination of hand calculations, simplified models and software.
- You will need to be able to generate a design specification in the form of 3D models and 2D engineering drawings for manufacture, assembly and verification.
- Preparing, presenting and reporting technical work, to peers, seniors & partners.
- Previous experience in mechanical design of process fluid transportation / chemical plant engineering e.g. Oil & Gas or Petro-chemical
- Experience in solving novel mechanical design challenges
- Generating 3D master models and 2D engineering drawings using SolidWorks or other CAD packages
- Experienced in generating engineering drawings to BS8888 standards
- Understanding of GD&T specification
- Able to produce hand calculations & simplified models to verify mechanical designs
- Experience in justifying design rationale through peer or design review
- Practical application of manufacturing/assembly processes, techniques and design for manufacture
- Experience for working within the guidelines of the Pressure Directive (PD5500)
- Experience in niche prototype development hardware
- Experience of cryogenic fluids e.g. Hydrogen systems
- Educated to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering experience considered
- Accreditation to a relevant professional institution
- Chartered Engineer status
Skills & Behaviours
- Able to thrive in a quick paced and creative environment
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to act on initiative & prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- Creative, innovative, who can think outside the box
- A collaborative team player, focused on effective team delivery
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels and areas of the business
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to deliver clear & concise presentations to key stakeholders
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines' core values:
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference “007/2020 Mechanical Design Engineer ”.
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.
Back to Vacancies