We are looking for a high calibre individual with experience in stress analysis, structures and materials within the aerospace or similar industry to help deliver solutions for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system - SABRE. The candidate will be responsible for leading design and analysis work packages, carrying out 2 and 3D static and dynamic stress analysis, assessing solutions and presenting work to peers, senior engineers, managers and external partners.
SABRE – This complex air breathing rocket engine is currently in its early development phase with the next 2 years of the programme focussed on delivering a demonstrator of the engine which is planned to be tested at our new test facility. The ideal candidate will provide support to the demonstrator and support technology development activities. The candidate will also play a key role in building up the company’s structures and materials capability.
The Materials and Structures team is small and dynamic, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects in the company. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst also being confident when working independently. The team works closely with customers, partners, and advisors so good communication skills are vital. The team is the main expertise for materials and structures within the company.
Reporting to the Department head your role will include
Provide engineering design solutions for the demonstrator and sub systems and supporting programmes and technologies.
- Provide stress analysis and general engineering support to other departments.
- Support other research and development projects, as required
- Prepare, present and report technical work to peers, seniors and partners.
For both the final SABRE and demonstrator activities, the candidate will be expected to:
- Carry out the design and analysis of various structures including static and dynamic stress analysis, non-linear stress analysis, buckling and thermal analysis.
- Work with other departments and external partners to deliver all aspects of the work.
- Develop and optimise low mass structures and assess the impact of these designs.
- Help to develop the company’s stress and structures design capability in line with the project requirements
- The candidate must be qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering with experience in structures and stress analysis.
- Applicants would be expected to be Chartered engineers or following a path leading to Chartered status.
Knowledge and Experience
- Must have industry experience in the design and analysis of aerospace structures
- Experience in the use of commercial finite element codes and CAD software systems including Altair Hyperworks, NASTRAN and SOLIDWORKS would be advantageous.
- Experience in the design and analysis of composite materials used for aircraft/spacecraft structures would be desirable including ceramic matrix composites and metal matrix composites.
- Must be able to carry out basic stress analysis hand-calculations for structures and pressurised equipment.
- Experience in the analysis of turbomachinery and airframes would be desirable.
Skills and Behaviours
- Able to work equally well unsupervised or as part of a team
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Must be able to communicate at all levels of the business and with suppliers and customers
- Must be adaptable to new projects and design directions
· Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
· Demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines core values:
Please send you’re Curriculum Vitae and Covering Letter to Recruitment@reactionengines.co.uk quoting reference number 196/2018.
Closing date 31/01/2019
Please include the following details in your email application for export control purposes, please note that if this information is not included, we will not be able to proceed with your application
- Current notice period
- Nationality (including any dual nationalities)
- Place of Birth
- Citizenships (including ones that are no longer held)
- Countries where Permanent residencies are held
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.
Back to Vacancies