Reaction Engines is looking for an engineer with experience in structural analysis within the aerospace or similar industry to help deliver solutions for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system - SABRE. The candidate will be responsible for carrying out FE and hand calculation stress analysis, assessing solutions and presenting work to peers, senior engineers, managers and external partners.
SABRE – This complex air breathing rocket engine is currently in its early development phase with the next 2 years of the programme focussed on delivering a demonstrator of the engine which is planned to be tested at our new test facility. The ideal candidate will provide support to the demonstrator and support technology development activities.
The work that the Stress and Structures team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst also being confident when working independently. The team works closely with peers, seniors, partners, and customers so good communication skills are vital. The team is the main expertise for structural analysis within the company.
Reporting to the Stress and Structures Team Leader the role will include the following:
- Building, checking and maintaining FE models using Altair Hypermesh and/or Ansys WB/APDL
- Carrying out static, normal modes, frequency response, rotordynamics, fatigue and thermal analysis using commercial FE solvers
- Carrying out post processing and reporting reserve factors for both SABRE and demonstrator metallic and composite components
- Correlating and validating FE models against test data
- Using hand-calculations to size and assess structures and pressurised equipment
- Preparing, presenting and reporting technical work to peers, seniors and partners
- The candidate must be qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
Knowledge and Experience
- 5 years of relevant industry experience in the design and analysis of aerospace or lightweight structures
- Proficient in the use of Altair Hypermesh and Hyperview for pre and post processing and the Optistruct or Nastran solver
- Proficient in the use of Ansys WB or Ansys APDL mechanical
- Proficient in the use of Windows and MS office
- Must be able to carry out basic stress analysis hand-calculations for sizing structures and pressurised equipment
- Experience with Ansys Thermal
- Experience with Solidworks
- Experience in the analysis of turbomachinery, pressurised equipment and/or heat exchanger products
- Experience with the ASME design by analysis code
- Experience with the ECSS standards
- Experience of thermal transient, fatigue and creep assessment
- Experience of rotordynamic analysis
- Experience of high temperature materials
Skills and Behaviours
- Able to work equally well unsupervised or as part of a team
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Must be able to communicate at all levels of the business and with suppliers and customers
- Pragmatic approach to interpreting structural analysis
- Must be adaptable to new projects and design directions
- Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
Demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines' core values:
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to Recruitment@reactionengines.co.uk quoting reference number 221/2019.
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.
Back to Vacancies