We are looking for a high calibre individual with experience in turbomachinery within the aerospace or similar industry to deliver the aerodynamic solutions for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system. The candidate will be responsible for leading design work packages, assessing solutions, and generating independent designs for comparison to be presented to senior engineers and managers. The ideal candidate would have a track record of delivery of high performance machines and would be confident presenting and justifying their solutions and recommendations to peers, seniors, and external partners.
SABRE – This complex engine is currently in its early development phase with the next 3 years of the programme focussed on delivering the turbomachinery for a demonstrator of the engine planned to be tested on our new test facility. The ideal candidate would be able to provide support to the demonstrator and support technology development activities specialising in advanced aerodynamic design for turbo-machinery. The candidate will also play a key role in building up the company’s aerodynamic design capability.
As of today, the turbomachinery team is small and dynamic, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across the range of turbomachinery projects in the company. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst being confident while working independently. The team works closely with customers, partners, and advisors so good communication skills are vital. The team is the main expertise for turbomachinery within the company thus the candidate must be flexible around potential applications and alternate uses. The candidate must be up to date with current and novel turbomachinery technologies and ideas.
Turbomachinery at Reaction Engines Ltd involves pushing boundaries and working at the cutting edge of engine designs. The hypersonic engine (and eventual vehicle) will change the way we travel both inside and out of the atmosphere.
- Provide aero-thermodynamic design solutions for the SABRE turbomachinery and supporting programmes and technologies.
- Define and implement the evolving requirements for the SABRE turbomachinery
- Design high performance turbine and compressor blades
- Contribute to the aerodynamic and thermodynamic requirements specifications for the turbomachinery
- Support research and development projects, as required
- Prepare, present and report technical work to peers, seniors, suppliers and customers
- Make risk vs reward judgements and justifications regarding new and innovative technologies
For both the final SABRE and demonstration activities, the candidate will be expected to:
- Carry out the design and analysis of turbo-machinery components (Compressors and Turbines, of both Axial and Radial designs)
- Work with other departments and external partners to deliver all aspects of the aerodynamic design and analysis for turbomachinery components
- Develop the aerodynamic flow paths for the turbomachinery and evaluate the performance impact of these designs using in-house design codes
- Identify opportunities for improving the aerodynamic performance of the turbomachinery
- Develop the company turbomachinery aerodynamic design capability in line with the project requirements
- The candidate must be qualified to degree level in Aerospace Engineering with experience in turbomachinery design and aerodynamics
- Applicants who are Chartered Engineers or pursuing a path leading to Chartered status is desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- The candidate must be confident with turbomachinery aerodynamics and thermodynamics, and have an awareness of resulting mechanical limitations and requirements
- Must have industry experience in the design and analysis of turbomachinery
- Must have experience in the use of aerodynamic design codes for generating aerofoils or other turbomachinery geometry
- Knowledge or experience within the aerospace industry
- Experience of CFD analysis codes for evaluation of turbomachinery
- Experience with using CAD software systems (e.g. solidworks)
- Be capable of completing basic hand-calculations for mechanical design
- Experience working with sub-contractors and partners to deliver innovative solutions
Skills and Behaviours
- Able to work equally well unsupervised or as part of a team
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Must be able to communicate at all levels of the business and with suppliers and customers
- Understand simple coding techniques in order to utilise in house design codes
- Strong can-do approach to work
- Must be adaptable to new projects and design directions
- Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
- Must be willing to travel to suppliers with up to 3 days away, if necessary
- Demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines core values:
Click here to apply https://reactiononline.hrp.sage.co.uk and quote 006/2016 along with your salary expectations.
Closing date: 17 February 2017
Please provide for purposes of export control screening and security reasons.
· Country of birth
· Nationality (including any dual nationality)
· Any citizenships held
· Your current country of residency